[governance] Re: Does Africa Need Help?---Latin America comment

Ginger Paque ginger at paque.net
Fri Jun 20 07:26:55 EDT 2008

Nyangkwe Agien said:

"For the reason of national interests today the financial

flows go mainly to Asian and African countries almost ignoring poverty,

civil war and the question of failing states in Latin America. Looking

on the positive aspect: Latin American governments have to resolve their

problems on their own or with regional support which is definitely

better than waiting for someone to fix the problem."

Excellent insight into Latin America!! Observing the international IG policy
processes, I see this coming into play as well. Since the problems in Africa
are critical, attention is deservingly turned to that area.

However, unfortunately, we in Latin America are not always managing to solve
our problems, nor take our place in international processes. Sometimes for
lack of education, skills and readiness-including political will-we simply
step back and ignore the problems, until they become emergencies. Somewhat
like untrained teenagers, intelligent and capable, but out on their own a
bit too soon.

I don't have any solutions or insights-except to watch Brazil, which seems
to be leading the way. But I appreciated your comment too much to just let
it slip by.  Thanks. Anyone else have ideas on this?

Saludos,

Ginger