[governance] Please summarize the discussion

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 08:33:19 EDT 2008

Hi Meryem,

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Meryem Marzouki <marzouki at ras.eu.org> wrote:
> Thanks Suresh. So, this seems business as usual:) But is some decision to be
> taken, a charter amendment proposed?

several;

On May 22nd, I proposed that we amend

http://www.igcaucus.org/nomcom-process.html  point 4

to read

4. All nomcom participants, voting and non voting, will be
disqualified from selection as candidates for the list or team being
chosen. Members of the current appeals team will also be disqualified
from being chosen. No disqualification can be made based upon the type
of employment undertaken by members.

I did this since the charter says "The members of the IGC are
individuals, acting in personal capacity, who subscribe to the charter
of the caucus. All members are equal and have the same rights and
duties."  It doesn't seem fair that some members are less equal than
others, based on employer.

Bill has since proposed that we form a working group to unambiguously
sort this out.

The NomCom made a recommendation  "that an independent Chair -either
voting or non-voting - be appointed now, and charged with a review in
association with the Internet Governance Caucus of all processes
associated
with future NomComs. The matters which we believe need review,
clarification, or further discussion, so that a next NomCom has a
smoother operation, include

.       Clarification and weighting of selection criteria
.       Clarification of IG Caucus position on publication of candidates details
.       Clarification of IG Caucus position on candidates who are paid
employees of internet governance organisations
.       An examination of ways to ensure regional representation or
input on NomComs
.       Clear publication on the Caucus website of a list of
procedures for future NomComs."

Mike Gurstein made a motion that "we move on and that there be no
further discussion on the MAG nominations along with a simple
declaration that the next NomCom undertake to only make substantive
decisions concerning the criteria for selection after broad
consultation with the group."

--
Cheers,

McTim