[governance] nomcom's creteria - was multistakeholding

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 08:25:56 EDT 2008

Milton,

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> Avri:
>> > you cannot support support a statement that the next nomcom should
>> > follow the written  rules and publish its criteria before its makes
> it
>> > selections?
>
> Nomcoms should follow written rules, yes.
>
> But the caucus should know the general criteria that it should use
> _before_ a Nomcom is even constituted. The nomcom should not make up new
> criteria every time it is formed and then stimulate endless debate in
> the middle of a selection process by publishing them to a list. I cannot
> believe this is being seriously proposed.

it's NOT being proposed, it's the way our charter is written

"One month will be used to constitute the nomcom and determine the
criteria for the selections they are to make.." and

"Criteria used by nomcom will be made public and will be reviewed by
the caucus.."

> Once you have the criteria you have no choice but to let the nomcom
> apply those criteria as it sees fit. Either you accept the Nomcom model
> or you don't. You can't have it both ways. You can't delegate selection
> authority to a group that works in private and then try to open up the
> selection process partially in mid stream.

it's only the criteria that needs to be communicated, not the
selectees, are you proposing an amendment to the charter to change
this method?

> Publication of their alleged "criteria" accomplishes nothing.

Except to fulfill the nomcoms obligation to rule #5.

Unless the
> Nomcom publishes the NAMES of the people it proposes to select and
> reject prior to making the selection (which is obviously silly), the
> publication of "criteria" will just allow hecklers to second-guess
> decisions and haggle over possible applications of the criteria. This is
> utterly pointless.

Perhaps, but that's the way our process is supposed to be run.

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim