[governance] nomcom's creteria - was multistakeholding

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Jun 8 13:03:51 EDT 2008

Avri:
> > you cannot support support a statement that the next nomcom should
> > follow the written  rules and publish its criteria before its makes
it
> > selections?

Nomcoms should follow written rules, yes.

But the caucus should know the general criteria that it should use
_before_ a Nomcom is even constituted. The nomcom should not make up new
criteria every time it is formed and then stimulate endless debate in
the middle of a selection process by publishing them to a list. I cannot
believe this is being seriously proposed.

Once you have the criteria you have no choice but to let the nomcom
apply those criteria as it sees fit. Either you accept the Nomcom model
or you don't. You can't have it both ways. You can't delegate selection
authority to a group that works in private and then try to open up the
selection process partially in mid stream.

Publication of their alleged "criteria" accomplishes nothing. Unless the
Nomcom publishes the NAMES of the people it proposes to select and
reject prior to making the selection (which is obviously silly), the
publication of "criteria" will just allow hecklers to second-guess
decisions and haggle over possible applications of the criteria. This is
utterly pointless.

Furthermore, a Nomcom that was truly "out of control" or determined to
select some people and reject others in a prejudicial manner will _not_
be effectively stopped by this pre-publication of criteria. The only
check you have against that would be dissent within the Nomcom. So you
have to trust the random selection process.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org