[governance] nomcom's creteria - was multistakeholding

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Sat Jun 7 08:18:22 EDT 2008

Hi,

Yes, but as you are the coordinator responsible for the caucus
following its rules, I thought that was the most salient point in your
message.

As I mentioned in an email along time of ago, I thought we made a
mistake in not following our rules (all of the other issues are
irrelevant to me - at this point anyway).  I think we have a
procedural problem that needs to fixed if his group is ever going to
try and use a nomcom process again and that is that we follow the rules:

- have a non voting chair (#3) responsible for following the rules.

    3. A non voting chair will be appointed by the coordinators for each
       nomcom with the advice of the IGC membership. In order to serve
as a chair,
       it is recommended that a person has served in at least one
nomcom previously.

    (i have already admitted giving bad advice on this one, i thought
it could work
     without one and think now that i was wrong)

- publish criteria to be used before using the criteria (#5)

    5. Criteria used by nomcom will be made public and will be
reviewed by the caucus
        whenever possible before decisions are made

While is debatable whether there was time for a full discussion of the
criteria before the decisions were made, it is also the case that the
criteria were not published until after the decision were made.  I
have heard no one make the claim that they were not published because
they did not have time.  And while I think the time for discussion
might be limited in some cases limited, i think that before the fact
publication is possible in almost all cases.

As I understand the 'motion' for ending this amicably was that we
would do our best to follow our rules in the future.   Though I guess
if we cannot say that, then perhaps McTim does have enough support to
call for a vote on amending the chartered nomcom rules.

And while a lot of what you have to say personally about your beliefs
on whether ITC organizations are different then ITC individuals and
whether they should or should not be allowed to ...., what is most
important to me, in this case as you are the coordinator of the caucus
is your unwillingness to say that you will work to see that we will
abide by the rules in the future.

and i agree with Bill, people who want to continue this discussion of
whether being paid by an ITC org creates an impenetrable barrier to
participating as CS  should do so in a group that comes back with a
resolution to that conundrum when they reach one.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org