[governance] Cost of access - the meters ticking

Babatope Soremi babatope at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 10:01:01 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Its not just the cost of access that is prohibitive but poor quality of
service with no proper mechanism to deal with erring service provider.

An example is the mobile telephony industry in Nigeria where quality of
service has failed to *significantly improve *and subscribers have no
effective outlet to address this.

Best Regards,

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Abi <abi.jagun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> With regards to the cost of access in Africa, APC recently published
> findings of a study on connectivity and access in 4 countries in
> sub-Saharan Africa (which also have access to the SAT3 cable).
>
> The study shows how international bandwidth capacity has increased in
> all the countries studied and what impact this is having on the cost
> of international bandwidth (both on SAT3 and satellite), internet
> access to consumers, and also cost of international calls.
>
> A briefing paper and the case country reports are available for
> download at http://www.apc.org/en/node/6142/
>

> Abi
>

> > Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 14:06:33 +0200
> > From: "Nyangkwe Agien Aaron" <nyangkweagien at gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: RE: [governance] Cost of access - the meters ticking
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > With us here at ASAFE in Cameroon, we are paying 90 000 FCFA (135 Euros)
> per
> > month for 250 kilo octets of connection. You can rest assured that
> > connection is piece meal here. Irrespective of that, the ISP doesn't skip
> > the day of presenting their bill and strict instructions to respect
> maturity
> > clause or seing your line disconnected.
> >
> > Aaron
> >

>  > ____________________________________________________________
> >     governance at lists.cpsr.org

> >     http://lists.cpsr.org/lists/info/governance

'Tope Soremi

Nigerian Youth ICT4D Network (www.nyinetwork.org) |
Foundation Nigerianet (www.nigerianet.org) |
Paradigm Initiative Nigeria (www.pin.org.ng) |
Nigeria Anti-Scam network
(www.cybercrime.org.ng, www.treasure.org.ng) |

Register your Domain: (http://www.nairahost.com.ng/ngclient/aff.php?aff=007

You can't give what you don't have........