[governance] Issues concerning standing IGC members

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Tue Jul 29 09:08:01 EDT 2008

Amazing... OK, let us be logical, like the numerical analysys textbooks.

Someone please tell CPSR (I understand Katz is talking in their name)
that people have not enrolled using completely verified identities of
real people, like banks do when issuing us a credit card or certifying
companies do when issuing us an e-certificate. All we have to identify
the people on this list is an email associated with the name the email
holder has given us. There is no documentary evidence on record even to
prove the name is the real name of the real person reading that email.
This is the universe of ID information we are dealing with and against
which we have to proceed with authentication.

I understand computer professionals should be able to understand basic
theory which says a logical construct is based on hypotheses, on
"givens" which are set by common sense or arbitrarily etc. Our "given"
is this: we have a list of names and uni-univocally associated emails.
We do not know the associated person's address, we do not know ifjust
one person uses a given email or several persons take turns to
participate with the same email, or even if the person represents what
s/he says s/he represents. All we have as formal "given" is that a pair
(email,name) posts messages in an electronic list (by the way, running
*insecurely* by CPSR -- so much for coherence).

In this logical scenario, printing a paper confirming an email has
arrived to a destination and sending it through the post office network
is a trivial lemma...

It is really amazing: we (CPSR included) take for granted everything the
pair (email,name) (the only identification info we formally have) writes
in this insecure list, but it seems CPSR does not take for granted the
message this pair sends to a secure e-voting system.

Shoddy logic...

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org