[governance] Issues concerning standing IGC members

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jul 28 08:46:34 EDT 2008

Yehuda Katz schrieb:
> How many of 'YOU' go to your respective National Elections and 'VOTE
> ON-LINE'?

This is not the issue here. We all know there are a number of problems
with electronic and online voting in national elections, ranging from the
missing paper trail and having to entrust the monopoly of force to a few
computer engineers to the insecurity of the voting machines (in Germany,
the CCC played chess on a Nedap machine).

BUT: We are not electing a parliament or president here. The caucus
coordinators can not start a war, decide on taxes we have to pay, or
arrest and even kill people. So the cost-benefit assessment of the various
  options has to be radically different from national elections.

And don't lose the perspective here: Even with paper trail or highly
secured voting mechanisms, a determined attacker could easily distort our
elections by subscribing dozens of fake persons a few months ago,
confirming their membership, and having them vote. So please, let's be a
bit more pragmatic here.

Personal note: I am not contributing much to this list / caucus anymore,
because these kinds of discussions about ourselves are IMHO just
distracting us from the real issues at hand in internet governance. If
people want to discuss substance or institutions of IG and even develop
policy perspectives and suggestions, I am more than happy to be back more
often. Just as an example: What do you think of the new Open Web
Foundation compared to W3C and IETF? See Ben Laurie for a quick & dirty
discussion of legitimacy issues with the latter two:
<http://www.links.org/?p=351>.

Best,

Ralf (officially on vacation...)
     governance at lists.cpsr.org