[governance] Reconstituting MAG

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Thu Jan 10 20:44:21 EST 2008

On 9-Jan-08, at 6:36 PM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> On 09/01/2008, at 1:32 PM, Ian Peter wrote:
>
>> ..... As regards the full complement of representatives who might
>> broadly be seen to represent various aspects of civil society, we
>> believe it is the best interests of stakeholder balance,
>> transparent operation and reporting, and involvement of a wider
>> group of stakeholders, that at least 75% of the civil society
>> representatives be chosen from a broad range of candidates
>> submitted by the Civil Society Caucus."
>
> ......  The IGC is a very elite group, and I think it is vain of us
> to think that we can represent civil society.  Most ordinary
> Internet users have never heard of the IGF or WSIS, and aside from
> the geeks who might join the Internet Society, are not going to
> have a voice if the civil society representation on the MAG is to
> be constituted by IGC and ISOC nominees.

I'd like to add a general reflection on just how broad the gap in
"representation" between the elite and the ordinary actually is.  I
do this from a Canadian perspective, the one country where I have at
least some up-close experience of the state of play of related public
policy, such as it is.

There an absence of public debate in Canada about what some Canadians
call "Telecom Policy," and some Americans call "Network Neutrality,
and what this list probably ought to mean by "Internet Governance,"
all facets of the same gem.  This is true at all levels of
government, but the absence is most startling at the local government
level.

About a year ago, I shepherded the application of Telecommunities
Canada to become an ICANN "At Large Structure."  Telecommunities
Canada then acted in cooperation with other organizations to assist
in the North American RALO”s formation, the last remaining stone in
ICANN's ALAC arch to be hoisted into place.  There were some quite
reasonable objections to Telecommunities Canada's application,
technically related to its form of organization under the existing
ALAC rules.  In fact, I think it's fair to say the debate over
Telecommunities Canada's application in particular was a sort of
catalyst for the NARALO's formation.  Telecommunities Canada was
certainly used as a key example in the changing of the application
rules.

Or to put that another way, just by showing up we already have
exercised some influence on ICANN.  That part wasn't so hard.  But
we'd got in in order to get out.  There were also some quite
reasonable cautions that the ALAC's highly specialized (i.e. elite)
agendas probably weren't going to be of interest to TC.  In the short
term, that's certainly proving to be true.  We plunged into the ALAC
because we assumed there was some potential to gain leverage in
addressing the way that Internet Governance issues will impact on
telecommunications policy reform in Canada. And, if there is a way to
do that, we haven't found it yet.

Telecommunities Canada saw ICANN participation as a means to an end,
and not an end in itself.  We have our own need to act, and to be
seen acting, to involve Canadians in public policy issues related to
Internet Governance and to the role of the Internet in Canada's socio-
economic development and political evolution.  But those who said
that our leap of faith in the potential utility of ICANN
participation was too great were entirely correct, at least in the
short term.  The idea of standing before a municipal council in
Canada, even one contemplating an open fibre network, and explaining
a current list of ICANN issues (or the issues usually addressed on
this list) simply boggles the mind.   Canadian politicians at all
levels of government are well aware that there is no public concern
or even interest, and they therefore feel no need to add anything to
the public policy agenda.  And yet, to me, those are exactly the
"forums" where the real "Internet Governance" issues need to be
addressed.  We have all become utterly reliant on a public utility
without the slightest notion of what it actually does or how it works.

I was encouraged to learn that the President of ICANN, Vint Cerf,
speaking at the NARALO/ICANN MOU signing ceremony, saw Internet
Governance issues in far broader terms.  Referring specifically to
the outreach responsibilities, he noted the ALAC's essential role in
“communicating the meaning of the internet's evolution in the context
of a collaborative ecology.”  There is nothing narrow or "merely
technical" in initiating and engaging in public dialogue that takes a
collaborative ecology into account.  I haven't yet got the nerve to
try that idea out with a municipal council, but I think I might.

> Whilst what is needed in the longer term is a serious programme of
> outreach to ordinary Internet users, ........

In a country as connected as Canada, there is another word for
"ordinary Internet users."  They are called citizens.  Because the
best route across that enormous gap most likely lurks in the concept
of use, we are looking for the points of common interest that will
focus their concerns.  Telecommunities Canada advocates for control
of open broadband networks as a local responsibility.  But, in
thinking about how to support public dialogue about that
responsibility, this is leading us to raise a broader question first
- a very basic question that still gets ignored in Canada.  In "the
longer term," it still seems to me that the real heart of Internet
Governance becomes the need to ask - In our digital age, what kind of
a society do we want?

GG

     governance at lists.cpsr.org