[governance] Reconstituting MAG

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Wed Jan 9 00:46:01 EST 2008

On 08/01/2008, at 9:31 PM, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

> We also discussed whether members should be selected by the
> stakeholders or by the secretariat in accordance with the UN SG. I
> agree with Ian that any balance between regions, skills and gender
> can only be reached if the various stakeholder don't have the last
> word but can only suggest people.

Why?  If they are required to balance regions, skills and gender
within each stakeholder group not just in the full MAG, this does not
make sense to me.

> I am in favor of sticking to the lowest number of groups possible
> because each further group makes the categories the process of
> selection and representation only more arbitrary than it is right now.

I agree though for a slightly different reason.  I see the division
between the stakeholder groups as stemming from the different sources
of democratic legitimacy that they bring to the table (for governments
representation of their citizens, for the private sector the value of
the free market, and for civil society the promotion of transnational
substantive values that are not adequately represented by governments
or markets).

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor

     governance at lists.cpsr.org