[governance] Kremlin eyes internet control ...

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 07:26:57 EST 2008

I can't for the heck of me think why Russia would want to go to all that
trouble and then stick to ".ru" in Cyrillic, when "Russia" in Russian is
Rossiya (Росси́я) - and ".po" is not taken, nor is ".pc" so Paraguay need
not fear a war over ".py". And if it about asserting cyrillicness, then,
there is nothing more patently Cyrillic than "я". So, new ccTLD, ".pя"

Regards,

Rui

On 04/01/2008, David Goldstein <goldstein_david at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For those who haven't seen the report, The Guardian reported in the last
> couple of days of Russia's desire "for greater control over the
> Russian-language part of the net - and its
> aim seems to be to create a web that operates in Cyrillic, completely
> independent from the wider web." See:
>
> Kremlin eyes internet control ...
> The growing cold war with Russia has a new front besides oil fields and
> undersea territorial claims: the internet. Russia's government is pushing
> for greater control over the Russian-language part of the net - and its aim
> seems to be to create a web that operates in Cyrillic, completely
> independent from the wider web.
>
> The problem for Russia is that its top-level domain - with the ASCII
> suffix .ru - translates into Cyrillic as .py, the domain name of Paraguay.
> That could pose security problems for Russian users. Kim Davies, who
> controls the domain names at the international domain naming agency Icann
> told the Guardian: "Russia has a second top level domain name of .ru in
> Ascii code, but is pushing for .rf in Cyrillic."
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/03/internet.censorship
>
> Of course, those who check out my website will have already seen the link
> (shameless self promotion I know!). See http://technewsreview.com.au/
>
> Cheers
> David
>
> ---------
> David Goldstein
> address: 4/3 Abbott Street
>            COOGEE NSW 2034
>            AUSTRALIA
> email: Goldstein_David @yahoo.com.au
> phone: +61 418 228 605 (mobile); +61 2 9665 5773 (home)
>
> "Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time
> you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery
>

>       Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail
> now. www.yahoo7.com.au/worldsbestemail

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,
South Africa