[governance] Re: IPv[4,6, 4/6] was IGF delhi format

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Fri Feb 29 10:55:31 EST 2008

Stephane Bortzmeyer [29/02/08 14:13 +0100]:
>>  >No. The word "application" has a very different meaning in networks
>>  >(an application is something that the user sees, for instance a Web

Here, for example, is a note on the "v6 hour" at nanog and apricot that I
mentioned earlier.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/82283_ipv6_hour_ipv4_switched_off/

IPv6 Hour. One, Two, Three, IPv4 Switched Off!
Feb 29, 2008 3:45 AM IST | Comments: 0
By Yves Poppe

It happened in San Jose, it happened in Taiwan and soon it will happen in
Philadelphia!

A nightmare? A conspiracy? No, no, it was just the IPv6 hour. One hour of
pure IPv6 LAN for NANOG attendees with a NAT-PT as valve to the crowded
teeming world of the IPv4 internet. IPv6 only on the inside, dual stack to
the outside world. At 12 noon, Tuesday February 19th it happened! While
Mac, Vista, Linux and Unix can breathe AAAA, Windows XP however cannot do
DNS over IPv6 transport. What to do to avoid all these Windows XP users,
including my colleague Sylvie Laperrière, crowding the audience, scoffing
at the state of IPv6 readiness? Some clever gymnastics with a little DNS
hack synthesizing AAAA out of A records was supposed to provide them
uninterrupted connectivity to the outside world.

So what happened? The number of associations (users on the local network)
peaked at 175 which is not bad. When Merike Kaeo who chaired the session
asked the audience how many of them still had IPv4 access, about 60-70%
raised their hand. Teething problems were to be expected, but such real
life experiments remain the best environment to probe skill levels and
stimulate ingenuity.

On February 27th, the Apricot conference in Taiwan saw its IPv6 hour and by
the time of the upcoming IETF in Philadelphia this March, it might already
be close to routine and not too newsworthy anymore.

Although NAT-PT remains after all a NAT, destroyer of the internet end to
end principle, the initiative should be applauded. IPv6 only network
bubbles can grow without too much trouble and still have an interface to
the .old internet., QED.

Would be address sharks, salivating with visions of reselling hoarded or
traded IPv4 blocks at outrageous prices to desperate customers suffocating
for lack of routable addresses should pause. Predatory pricing would simply
accelerate the growth of IPv6 bubbles and the ultimate demise of IPv4.
Taking a global perspective, one can only assume that major networks in
countries such as China or India would resist being milked this way. An
IPv6 only China interfacing to the .old. internet? That would be a quite
sizeable bubble indeed.

Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in these
articles are solely those of the author and are not in any way attributable
to nor reflect any existing or planned official policy or position of his
employer in respect thereto.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org