[governance] Re: IPv[4,6, 4/6] was IGF delhi format

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Fri Feb 29 09:29:04 EST 2008

Stephane Bortzmeyer [29/02/08 14:13 +0100]:
>> (1) I understand v6 and v4 as applications on which Internet runs.
>
>No. The word "application" has a very different meaning in networks
>(an application is something that the user sees, for instance a Web
>browser or an IM client). IPv4 and IPv6 are network protocols, not
>applications.

Strongly agree. Parminder, it would be wise if some key civ soc people got
a quick crash course in technical matters like this, especially where
they're concerned with governance of these issues.

I would be glad to help develop / teach such a course. Without it, a lot of
civ soc commentary about these issues may not be as useful as it should be.

	suresh
     governance at lists.cpsr.org