[governance] IPv[4,6, 4/6] was IGF delhi format

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Fri Feb 29 04:01:51 EST 2008

Parminder [29/02/08 14:04 +0530]:
>(1) I understand v6 and v4 as applications on which Internet runs. We know
>of numerous applications where upgrades keep hitting us by the day. But

They are not applications. They are a transport fabric, an addressing
mechanism. There just needs to be a sufficiency of 6 to 4 gateways (there
are several) and these need to be configured. You can get tunneled access
to v6 - yes. Or you can have providers offer native v6 connectivity for
their mobile phones / dsl routers etc, and then provide 6 to 4 to reach v4
space. That will increase reachability and also encourage more people to
roll out content (websites etc) on dual stack.

v4 isnt going to go away, ever .. so these two might as well coexist.

There's nothing "unique" about v6 barring all the marketing hype people
keep pushing at it.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org