[governance] IGC statements

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Feb 25 08:58:42 EST 2008

Hello, I have finally gotten a chance to review the statement. My vote
is YES, understanding that we have a binary option here.

However, I note an error - not a wording problem or a shade of meaning I
don't like, but an outright, puzzling error -- in the language on net
neutrality (NN). The language in question says that the "challenges [of
NN] are most manifest in the physical layer, but also increasingly in
the content and application layers."

This whole sentence doesn't make sense to me. You should just strike it
if you can.

The problem of NN is precisely that those in control of bandwidth extend
vertical control to content and applications.

So it is literally meaningless to say that the NN problem resides in one
layer or the other; it is about the extension of vertical control from
one "layer" to another; i.e. from bandwidth to content/applications.

And by the way, "content and applications" are not separate "layers;"
the application layer is a term that has meaning in the OSI framework;
content is something that applications act on. In discussing NN, I
suggest that we will do ourselves a favor if we abandon completely the
ersatz layering terminology that seems to have evolved as a bastardized
version of the OSI model. That's my pedantic 2cents for today. ;-)

MM

Added

     governance at lists.cpsr.org