[governance] IGF meeting

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Fri Feb 22 18:03:25 EST 2008

Jeanette Hofmann [22/02/08 15:09 +0000]:
> Hi,
>
> now its official. The IGF meeting will take place in Hyderabad from 3-6
> December 2008. The Hyderabad International Convention Center (HICC) was
> chosen as the venue for the meeting.
> The secretariat has visited the venue last week and is very happy with the
> choice. The hotel situation seems to be much better in Hyderabad.
> jeanette

Jesus. We checked that venue out and rejected it about a couple of years
ago, for another conference, as -

1. Fairly far from the main city (and along very crowded roads)

2. The only large hotel that's at a walkable distance - the novotel - was
quoting $225++ rates for the conference (though I could easily see $150
type rates for the same hotel online, on the novotel website)

3. Other hotels are at least half an hour or more away (and as I said,
hyderabad traffic can get very very crowded, especially if the "flyovers"
(overpasses) they have been building all over the place havent been
completed

4. Other than that, the city is a fun place, great food etc etc.

Besides the usual issues about direct flights from multiple international
destinations. Its much better right now - but the new airport in hyderabad
- coming into place in March - is over 70 kilometers from the city, and
while the airport is ready, the access road sure as hell isnt. The current
joke is that it will take you 3 hours to fly there from Singapore, and 3:30
hrs to drive from the airport to the city, unless you take a scheduled
copter shuttle service someone's launching there (Deccan Aviation I think)

Disclaimer - I lived over 12 years in hyderabad, but that was 6 years back,
and my last trip to hyderabad was around 5..6 months back (I visit
occasionally as my parents live near there)
     governance at lists.cpsr.org