[governance] Reconstituting MAG (Tech/admin language)

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Feb 21 17:33:01 EST 2008

Voila. This is precisely the point. One can fully represent the Internet
administration bodies and the technical experts by sticking to an equal
division of business, govt and civil society. Patrik Faltstrom e.g.
works for Cisco, he is clearly private sector. He is also a technical
expert on DNS. He is also closely associated (I believe - or used to be)
with the Swedish root zone operator.

So maybe our point should be this:
First, we make a point (as Parminder insists) of clarifying the
definitions used. We point out that TC is not a useful category, it is
really a cross-cutting concept that touches on all three of the main
stakeholder groups.
Second, we point out (following Ian Peter) that what many people refer
to as TC are really administrative bodies that have a vested interest in
specific governance regimes.
Third, we note that while these Internet administrative bodies must be
represented, both because of their governance role and their technical
knowledge, we should not allow IGF or the MAG to become overweighted
with their representatives, due to obvious conflict of interest issues.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org