[governance] Reconstituting MAG (Tech/admin language)

Guru guru at itforchange.net
Wed Feb 20 11:49:12 EST 2008

I think the point has been repeatedly made by Suresh and others that CS
should not  treat the technical community as enemies. But I did not see any
posting which suggested any such thing, even in spirit. On the contrary the
position has been clearly that:

Technical experts (yourself, Mc Tim et al) can get represented in MAG as
members of Government or Business or CS, depending on your affiliations and
your views, goals and activities.

Internet Governance organizations such as ICANN, RIRs etc should definitely
be part of the MAG structure/process, without them discussions on IG will be
futile.  It has been reiterated by many who are for the draft as it stands
at present.

The problem that has been raised (again repeatedly) is that the second group
cannot be considered part of CS. They can come in under a distinct label but
honestly imo, it is quite ridiculous to keep asserting that ICANN is CS.

Regards,
Guru

Btw I don't think any group can be considered as 'enemies' that defeats the
very conception of 'multistakeholderism' - nor do we rush to give them CS
seats on bodies where CS seeks representation :-)