[governance] IPv4-v6 - "coexistence" not transition - operational issues surfacing

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 06:25:49 EST 2008

Hi,

On 2/21/08, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

IPv6 packet design HAD to be different from IPv4 packet design, hence,
lack of backwards compatibility.
But Randy Bush's slides say :

"Incompatibility could have been avoided, e.g. if IPv6 had variable length
addressing, IPv4 could have become the 32 bit variant"

Must confess I'm not cognisant enough. Could you explain a bit further ?

Best

Bertrand

--
Bertrand de La Chapelle

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no better mission for humans than uniting humans")