[governance] IPv4-v6 - "coexistence" not transition - operational issues surfacing

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 05:31:32 EST 2008

2008/2/20 Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com>:

> Izumi, you may find this paper interesting in this respect
>

> http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0710/presentations/Bush-v6-op-reality.pdf
>

> Its from Randy Bush, very much an IETF stalwart and true believer

?? Perhaps you should read some of his posts on IETF/netops lists to
see if the above is still the case ;-)

 – there is
> a lot more elsewhere on this problem and various specific aspects of it, but
> this is a good starting point.
>

> Randy Bush has compared the IPv6 rollout (starting from 1995) with the war
> in Iraq -  "no transition plan, declared victory before the hard part
> started, no real long term plan, no realistic estimation of costs, no
> support for the folk on the front lines [and continual declaration that]
> victory will be next month" –
>

> To which I would add acute embarrassment at the failure, which leads to
> denial and coverups and all sorts of attempts to wish the problem will go
> away - rather than admitting failure, and beginning a serious attempt at a
> remedy.

There won't be A remedy. the 2 protocols were never designed to be
"interoperable".  There are a variety of "remedies" that will allow v4
hosts to communicate with v6 hosts and vice versa.

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim