[governance] Reconstituting MAG (Tech/admin language)

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Wed Feb 20 12:37:34 EST 2008

Hi Guru,

I see I wasn't really clear in my comments. What I meant is that
_ontological_ dicussions on what exactly constitutes civil society won't
lead anywhere and looks like a waste of time to me. I referred to
academic debates to emphasize this point.

In my view, civil society constitutes an umbrella term that covers in
the broadest sense non-governmental and non-commercial entities.
However, it is impossible to draw clear lines for all the border cases
such as non-commercial bodies representing commercial entities, etc. So,
  civil society is a useful term in the context of the composition of
advisory groups but it is a much less useful term when we are searching
for clear categories that help distinguishing between the caucus and
ISOC and similar bodies.
jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org