[governance] Reconstituting MAG (Tech/admin language)

Guru guru at itforchange.net
Wed Feb 20 11:24:00 EST 2008

Dear Jeanette,

In an earlier mail you say, quote

"As I have probably said before, I think we should stick to 3 groups (govs,
biz, cs) instead of adding another group. My reason for this is pragmatic.
The more distinct groups, the more complex the task to represent and balance
them, and also the more arbitrary the rules of inclusion and exclusion. For
example, should environmental effects become an important governance issue,
how would we justify the exclusion of respective stakeholder groups from the
MAG? What we need is broad categories that can be filled flexibly reflecting
changing needs in terms of skills and interests. This is why I agree with
Parminder's suggestion to distribute (technical) experts among the
stakeholder groups. The fact that many technical experts wear indeed several
hats makes this a rather easy thing to do. Patrik Faltstroem, a present
member of the MAG, could be there in a government ticket, an IETF or a
business ticket. This is true for many other technical celebrities as well".

Subsequently you mention that the discussion should be stopped since we
won't reach consensensus on the above position. So as I understand, while on
substance you are for having 3 categories, on process you think that it may
be difficult to to achieve consensus due to limited time.

My view is that discussions on fundamental issues as these are always on ...
Well if we don't achieve consensus then we don't have this in the IGC
statement :-) , but these discussions will help us get a better clarity on
different positions amongst IGC members, and where people are coming from,
what are the principles their positions are based on etc. At the same time I
do find it quite strange to keep asserting that now is not the time ... When
MAG itself is discussing its composition and changes required, CS is not
willing to do the same!

In an earlier mail to McTim I had raised the basic doubt I still have -
What is the principle for interpreting 'Technical community' as two very
distinct sets at the same time -
1. people who have participated in the creation and running of the Internet
- Loius Pouzin, Mc Tim, Vincent Cerf et al and
2. a set of organizations that are part of the current IG.

The second definition treating a group of organizations who make policy as
'community' is itself a rather major political problem since the distinction
between those who govern and those who are governed is lost. Can someone
enlighten me on this basic issue please..

Regards
Guru