[governance] Reconstituting MAG (Tech/admin language)

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Wed Feb 20 10:39:45 EST 2008

Le 20 févr. 08 à 15:24, Suresh Ramasubramanian a écrit :

>> However, their
>> representation should not be at the expense of broader civil society
>> participation.
>
> However, it is essential to ensure broader and more inclusive civil
> society
> participation
>
> That wording ok?

No, Suresh. It's not OK. You're supposed to understand English better
than I do, but let me explain to you what's wrong with this:

Ian's sentence ("However, their representation should not be at the
expense of broader civil society participation") was agreed as a
replacement to previous sentence ("However, their current over-
representation should be corrected"). Both sentences were proposed at
the end of the following paragraph: "We also agree that International
organizations having an important role in the development of Internet-
related technical standards and relevant policies should continue to
be represented in the MAG. <last sentence>."

Even with limited English language skills, anyone would understand
that "their" refers to the " International organizations having an
important role in the development of Internet-related technical
standards and relevant policies", in other words, the so-called
"technical community". So we're talking about them in this paragraph,
sot talking about CS participation.

So why trying to entirely change the sense and the coherence of the
whole paragraph, with a replacement proposal that is, on top of all
this, nothing but a weaker repetition of the first two paragraphs of
the statement? Are we kidding here?

     governance at lists.cpsr.org