[governance] Reconstituting MAG (Tech/admin language)

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Feb 20 09:25:37 EST 2008

Bill

> Milton,
>
> FWIW I've always heard them referred to in IGF as TC

My problem is that the tc (technical community) term as used here conflicts
frontally with its usage in Tunis agenda as well as used in IGC's earlier
statements (last year), where this category is referred to as cross-cutting.
I don't think it is a small issue that the same term is used with two
entirely different meanings in a discussion where we are trying to establish
who should be represented in MAG and in which manner, by what rules, quota
etc.

Why are we just avoiding this issue, when it stares un in the face,  I am
completely unable to understand.

And when this dual use is not entirely innocent and in this regard I quote
you in a recent email

" I have never hid that I have issues with the propensity of some (well,
one) org to imply that there's a world-wide hard consensus on all issues
among tech people and that it singularly represents their singular views;
that holders of the purported singular views should be viewed as essentially
sovereign and singularly qualified to know what's right in all cases; and
that governments and CS people who have the temerity to disagree on anything
are simply not "clueful."  I think it's been evident by the reactions
elicited these stances are unhelpful to global dialogue, collective
learning, and consensus building"

Do you think this dual use of the term tc has nothing to do with the manner
in which the propensity you have some issues with gets expressed and
legitimized.

If you are concerned about this issue, why no views on this dual use of the
'tc' term, especially now when there seems to be an almost consensus
(personal view) on the Ian's formulation. Especially also when you tell us
that you once had strong views on this issue. Just trying to understand your
position...

Parminder

, and of course it

     governance at lists.cpsr.org