[governance] Reconstituting MAG

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Mon Feb 18 12:28:51 EST 2008

Hi Parminder and al.

Le 18 févr. 08 à 14:24, Parminder a écrit :

> Milton, Meryem, McKnight and others who have reservation on the
> number 40 – do you want the sentence ‘We think that 40 is a good
> number for MAG members’ struck off. I  am unable to specifically
> call for reducing the number since there seems to be considerable
> opposition to this.
>
> Some members seemed in favor of putting some mathematics in the
> statement to make a clear case for increased number for CS.  For
> this reason I do have to go by the present number 40, in this part
> of the statement. Meryem, you wanted me not to quote the number
> that can be reserved for the International Internet orgs reps – but
> I have gone by the number 6 which a few of us quoted, because that
> allows me to complete the calculations for the asked for CS
> numbers. In any case this number is clearly against a total of 40,
> so there can be no confusion about how this number may be interpreted.

I'm still of the opinion that it's not a good idea to mention any
number (including for the overall MAG size. Why saying that we find
40 a good number? Let's not mention anything about this in this
caucus statement, and some people may raise the issue in their own
name during the meeting).
We may perfectly address CS representation through percentages and
keep focusing on the *main* issue, i.e. to have equal proportions
among the 3 stakeholders. So: yes to mathematics, no to bargaining:)

Moreover, my opinion is that Internet organizations rep. shouldn't be
qualified as 'stakeholders', but as organizations that need to be
involved. So, 1/3 gov, 1/3 biz, 1/3 cs (stakeholders), plus a
reasonable number of major global Internet org rep, plus IGOs
involved in the field, and you're set.

another clarification: 'One third of MAG members should be rotated
every year' means 1/3 rotation inside each stakeholder group, right?
Shouldn't this be made clearer? Just in case..

Finally: I really prefer your previous statement. This one seems too
much detailed, entering too much into numbers and case studies, and
diluting the main issue. Moreover, I'm afraid it's inconsistent: you
say "TA also rightly recognizes international organizations involved
in IG as a stakeholder category", then you want to give them less
seats than other stakeholders.
EITHER they're a stakeholder, and they should be given as many seats
as other stakeholders OR they aren't a stakeholder - rather
organizations that have to be represented in addition to the normal
stakeholder for reasons we've already discussed on this list: their
difference in nature, their transversality, etc. -, and they should
be given a limited number of seats (preferably less than true
stakeholders:))
I hardly see any other option.

Best,
Meryem