[governance] FBI Received Unauthorized E-Mail Access

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Mon Feb 18 09:12:51 EST 2008

Riaz K Tayob wrote:

> FOCUS | FBI Received Unauthorized E-Mail Access
> http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/021708Z.shtml
> Eric Lichtblau of The New York Times reports: "A technical glitch gave
> the FBI access to the e-mail messages from an entire computer network -

Yes - this says it all doesn't it?  No further discussion really required.

"This was a technical glitch in an area of evolving tools and technology and
fast-paced investigations," Mr. Kortan said. "We moved quickly to resolve it
and stop it. The system worked exactly the way it's designed."

Subpoenas are routine - and in the case of FBI subpoenas we've encountered,
inevitably are about criminals - scam, botnets, assorted other cybercrime.
We do have internal controls in place, and a legal team to review these
controls, and custom tools to provide exactly what is asked for - no more,
no less .. so I can say we haven't screwed up like this before.

But what was your point?  That ISPs shouldn't screw up?  That the FBI
shouldn't send ISPs subpoenas in the course of an investigation?

There is nothing at all here that suggests that this subpoena was
warrantless. A technical error at an ISP, the FBI notices and asks the ISP
to stop.   Case closed.

	srs

     governance at lists.cpsr.org