[governance] Reconstituting MAG

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Sun Feb 17 18:50:59 EST 2008

On 18/02/2008, at 1:56 AM, Parminder wrote:

> ·         We are of the opinion that in keeping with the multi-
> stakeholder nature of the MAG, there should only be one chair,
> nominated by the UN SG. The host country should be able to nominate
> a deputy chair, an arrangement that would be helpful in context of
> various issues of logistics for the annul IGF meetings. In any case,
> we will like to understand the division of work and responsibility
> between the two chairs, in the present arrangement? It may be too
> late to move over to this suggested arrangement for the New Delhi
> meeting, especially if the Indian government representative has
> already taken over as the co-chair, but we can take a decision now
> about the post-Delhi phase.

This paragraph has lost the recommendation that the position of co-
chair (or deputy chair, as you have it - I would prefer a co-chair)
rotate between the stakeholder groups.  It's important not to lose
that, even if you don't extend it to both chairs as I would.

> ·         (Alternate text for the above point since CSTD is an inter-
> governmental body and there is nothing very exciting about it. But
> every organization including IGF should have an annual report.) MAG
> should prepare an annual report for the IGF. This report should
> mention IGF activities and performance for the year against relevant
> parts of the TA which lays out its mandate, and also outline plans
> for the year ahead.

I like the alternate text.

I didn't respond separately to the two suggested themes, but that was
because I was (busy and) happy with them.  I am personally of the view
that the proposed EC theme and last year's CIR theme can be wrapped
together, if the CIR topic is to be focussed at the institutional level.

On the other hand I would not be averse to a particular substantive
policy issue on ICANN's agenda (perhaps whether the issue of city
gTLDs raises any legitimate global public policy concerns) being
discussed intensively in a separate plenary session and the report of
that session being delivered to ICANN.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor

     governance at lists.cpsr.org