[governance] Suggestions for Delhi - themes

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Feb 16 00:44:27 EST 2008

I am enclosing the set of themes that the caucus recommended for Rio. Of
them the CIRs theme was accepted.

Proposed statement of substantive themes

(Starts)

As suggested in our earlier statement, CS IGC is of the opinion that the
four general themes of access, openness, diversity and security (with CIRs
added in Rio) have served a useful purpose in organizing the IGF meetings in
its early formative stages, by which we mean its first two meetings in
Athens and Rio. We should now move on more purposefully to the serious
business of providing directions, ideas and possibilities to global public
policy making in the Internet arena, which is the primary mandate of the
IGF.

We are of the opinion that the above general themes of access, openness,
diversity and security should remain cross-cutting themes for overall
organizing of the substantive aspects of the IGF. However, the plenaries
should address specific public policy issues that are considered most
important in the current global context. A series of thematic workshops
should also be organized around these plenaries, whose output should feed
into them. Adequate preparatory work should go into preparing the plenaries
and the connected workshops using dedicated working groups. These WGs should
also synthesize some outcome documents for each plenary subject.

For Delhi, we suggest the following substantive themes.

1. Enhanced Cooperation - what was meant by the Tunis Agenda, and what is
the status of it

Tunis Agenda speaks about the need for enhanced cooperation for global
Internet policy making. There are different views about what exactly is
meant by this term, and what processes will/ can constitute enhanced
cooperation. IGF is the right forum to deliberate on the meaning and
possibilities of this term, through wide participation of all stakeholders
in the multi-stakeholder spirit of the WSIS.  It is quite possible that such
an open discussion pushes the process of EC forward, which at present seems
to be caught in a kind of a limbo, or at least some degree of confusion.

(3-4 more themes can be added here)

(ends)

Bill has suggested a theme - 'assessing implementation of the WSIS
principles' in IG institutions. He may suggest a final title, and some text

We can pick up the Development Agenda in IG theme as well from the list
(especially since there is support form Swiss gov, and APC's submission)

One of us may want to re-write a short description for this theme.

We can also again ask for plenary on 'The Role and Mandate of the IGF'
though they may say this is best discussed at open consultations, but we may
need a wider constituency that comes to the annual meetings to discuss it.

If we have to ask for CIR plenary, we will need to develop a more specific
topic, since we are proposing plenary discussions on clearer and more
specific issues.

We need some rather quick input at this stage. We have exactly a week to get
through the whole process.

Also, while we are proposing substantive themes, I will like to quote the
Swiss gov's contribution.

" We also think that, generally speaking, the discussions in the IGF should
not try to avoid critical issues, but they should be informal, open and free
and should allow for divergence of views. The atmosphere of the discussions
should be respectful but not too "nice" and "cosy"."

And at another place " We would not like the IGF to turn into a meeting of a
group of friends that discuss among themselves ..."

I am bit worried about the reputation of the CS here :), when governments
are speaking more like normally CS speaks, and CS may be found being too
cautious etc...

Parminder

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org