[governance] Suggestions for Delhi - process

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Fri Feb 15 21:51:10 EST 2008

On 15/02/2008, at 11:08 PM, Parminder wrote:

> For offering suggestion on format for Delhi, I have tried to stick
> to fewer things rather than give a long list.  The main thing is to
> make the plenaries more purposive and attractive, and have a clear
> workshops structure around it. And that its preparation should be
> more through and facilitated by dedicated working groups.

Thanks Parminder.  Hopefully this will be seen as constructive rather
than critical, but I found this submission a little weak.  It
accurately diagnoses the problem, but the main concrete suggestion to
address it is to take the same approach as in Rio of distinguishing
between thematic and general workshops (only to do it better this
time).  Since the only other suggestion, to discuss more focussed
topics in the plenaries, is to be dealt with in a separate submission,
this leaves the present submission a little lacking.

Perhaps it could be made stronger, without adopting more contentious
recommendations, by a bit of reorganisation so that the most
significant reforms you suggest are put first.  As I see it, the most
significant reform of all that you recommend is that workshops be
organised by working groups drawn from stakeholders and MAG members,
to ensure their relevance and focus.

Another recommendation I would like to see in that space be allowed
either in or around plenary sessions for intensive deliberation on the
policy issues discussed in the plenary in a moderated roundtable
setting (rather than a seminar setting).  At present, only the views
of a minority - the panelists, discussants and those who choose to ask
questions - are ever aired.

There must also be a formal mechanism by which for the output of
dynamic coalitions to be injected into the plenary sessions.  The
"Reporting Back" sessions do not suffice for this.  Instead, the
dynamic coalition should be involved in the preparation of the plenary
session to which their work relates, and thus be given an opportunity
to shape its format and to suggest topics around which for the
moderator to guide discussion.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor

     governance at lists.cpsr.org