[governance] Comments on Rio - Suggestions for Delhi - main

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 11:55:53 EST 2008

I think the issue here is whether CS is seen as a "category" (estate?) or as
a "movement" (having shared values for example).  The notion of CS in most
LDC's and dare I say for most of those globally who identify with CS is
certainly oriented towards the "movement" side of the ledger.

When we start thinking (only) about institutional issues as seems to be the
current pre-occupation with this group, then of course the matters of CS as
a "category" seem to become most prominent.

My major concern is that in presenting CS only as a "category" (for
representational purposes) we seem to be losing sight of what motivates a
lot of those with an active involvement in CS which is presenting and
promoting our shared values (which we don't seem to be bringing to the fore
very much and which could very much use a re-translation and re-articulation
in the context of Internet Governance and ICT's overall...

Mike Gurstein