[governance] Reconstituting MAG

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Feb 13 11:35:38 EST 2008

> Hi Parminder,
>
> I don't want to go around and around on the point, especially since the
> concerns I've raised are more political/procedural than substantive.  But
> do think that the issue of defining the stakeholders in question is more
> complex than your solution suggests; that a proper dissection of it would
> take more time and broader dialogue than is possible now;

But we will never discuss these things in leisure. The time for renewal of
MAG, when the issue and meaning of tech community is being discussed even
inside MAG, I think is the perfect time for discussing this issue. Why
postpone it. I consider it politically one of the most important issue to
discuss, especially when the community confusion/ overlap is mostly with CS.

Other matters in th statement can be decided even when we keep discussing
this issue. I don't see any other time coming which will be especially good
for this discussion. Other than, of course, if we put it to vote. Which in
my opinion we should if it remains inconclusive for the open consultations.

that the
> consensus
> for your approach is among a pretty small portion of the population
> reading
> this thread;

I saw only McTim having some objections, and no other clear objection
(correct me if I am wrong). If others have objection they need to come out
and say it. Playing coy wont work, because we are trying to accomplish
important caucus business and other people have out their views out on the
matter. It will of course be helpful if stating ones position is accompanied
with some amount of rationale and if necessary some minimum degree of
engagement with others who may have some differing views. That in my view is
how this caucus should be functioning.

 and that this may do more to deepen divides than anything
> else.

Well, don't have much to say on this. That way we will not discus anything
for the fear of deepening divides, and divides will stay and the caucus will
continue to be politically ineffective.

> I hope I'm proven wrong on the last.

Me too hopes.

In any event, I would suggest a
> different acronym than IABs, since one of them is the IAB, bit confusing.

This is wide open. Suggestions welcome.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org