[governance] Reconstituting MAG

Qusai Al-Shatti qshatti at safat.kisr.edu.kw
Wed Feb 13 07:31:41 EST 2008

 --- Message Header ---

The following message was sent by Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> on Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:55:16 +0900.

> My problem with the technical community isn't
> that they are represented, but there are too
> many.  11 or 12 I think, with only 6 or 7 from
> private sector and civil society respectively.
> And I think people generally recognize a close
> alignment between the private sector and
> technical community (it is certainly apparent
> inside the MAG.)  So I would rather see a
> rebalancing, for example with perhaps the tech
> community dropped to 5 or 6 of the roles McTim
> mentions represented (ISOC is to all intent and
> purposes .ORG, why two standards community...
> though a personal preference would be a couple of
> RIRs...)  With civil society increased by 3 or 4
> and private sector by 2 or 3.
>
> About the overall number, I think it will be
> difficult to get below 40. And 40 is not ideal
> but workable.
>
> Adam

Thank you Adam for making a key point here. If we looked at the MAG work and the preparations for the IGF meetings including the work on the meetings program, we will find out that CS & private sector contributed far more than governments. This is why we would like to see first a rebalance rather than a rotation with increasing representaion of CS and private sector by the numbers you have mentioned.

Regards,

     governance at lists.cpsr.org