[governance] Reforming MAG

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Tue Feb 12 14:36:49 EST 2008

Hi, I agree with Bill's suggestion below:

 >  Maybe it’d be better to blur the issue a little and make it not just
 > about us, e.g. by proposing rough proportions per group we’d think it
 > better to shoot for...?

The numeric share of a group doesn't translate directly into influence
on the forming of opinions on the MAG. Quite a few government reps
hardly participate in the discussions. The contributions of a group are
much more important than a few members more or less. This is why I think
it is sufficient to refer to the principle of balanced or equal
composition.

As I have probably said before, I think we should stick to 3 groups
(govs, biz, cs) instead of adding another group. My reason for this is
pragmatic. The more distinct groups, the more complex the task to
represent and balance them, and also the more arbitrary the rules of
inclusion and exclusion. For example, should environmental effects
become an important governance issue, how would we justify the exclusion
of respective stakeholder groups from the MAG? What we need is broad
categories that can be filled flexibly reflecting changing needs in
terms of skills and interests. This is why I agree with Parminder's
suggestion to distribute (technical) experts among the stakeholder
groups. The fact that many technical experts wear indeed several hats
makes this a rather easy thing to do. Patrik Faltstroem, a present
member of the MAG, could be there in a government ticket, an IETF or a
business ticket. This is true for many other technical celebrities as well.

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org