[governance] communicating with our peers

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Thu Feb 7 07:32:54 EST 2008

> In continuation of the email on CS activity inside MAG, what worries me is
> that this has happened without any significant (or any at all) role of the
> CS members in the MAG. At least I do not know of it, and will be very happy
> to be proved wrong.
>
> It has happened almost entirely due to UN SG's instructions. And we are so
> keen on calling UN names and celebrating the virtues of CS. Why weren't the
> CS group so keen active and aggressive in pushing for this change. In fact,
> I remember during September face to face consultations China, yes, China,
> wanted these meetings to be open to observers.  And CS doesn't seem to have
> any views on it. In fact I sometime hear views more in favor of what would
> amount to less transparency.

Comparing civil society and Chinese positions in the MAG beats really
everything!
A few governments did indeed opt for a complete opening of the MAG. My
comment (if I still count as civil society in your eyes) on this
proposal was that a complete blurring of the MAG with its environment
can be regarded as an elegant way of killing it altogether. It is not by
accident that MAG members like China who are most opposed to the idea of
a multi-stakeholder group were also the ones most eager to open it up
without any reservation. If I remember correctly, Russia took the same
stance as China in that meeting.

What China and Russia both saw is that transparency and openness involve
trade-offs. It can enhance the legitimacy of an organization but it can
also render it dysfunctional. Such decisions need care. And I think its
good if the cs members in the MAG use their individual brains instead of
simply operating on the assumption that only a request for a maximum of
openness and transparency is compatible with an uncompromising civil
society position.
jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org