[governance] Re: [IGP-ANNOUNCE] IGP Alert: Reforming ICANN

Lee McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Wed Feb 6 17:43:50 EST 2008

Avri,

I don't think we are talking about a radical change in IGF, more of a
recognition of what de facto is already happening.

ICANN is not subordinated to anyone. ICANN has voluntarily participated
in IGF from its founding, and organized sessions.

At those sessions, people have made positive and negative comments, and
offered on-target and perhaps also off-target feedback to ICANN.

So we're just saying look at what's going on already at IGF, project
ahead to where this is leading, and isn't that preferrable to keeping
ICANN on a JPA leash indefinitely.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile
>>> avri at psg.com 02/06/08 5:16 PM >>>
<currently under temporary part-time contract to the IGF secretariat
and an ICANN volunteer, but writing from my own perspective>

Hi,

I do not expect that the reason people might be against has to do with
laziness. I think it might have to do with the nature of the IGF as a
safe forum where everyone can meet to discuss the issues as peers,
including ICANN.  The IGP proposal would not only subordinate ICANN to
the rest of the peers, but would also force the group into becoming a
decision making body.  This would seem to me to be a radical change in
the nature of the forum.

Now, one could argue that the IGF should be a decision making body,
but most seem to believe that this is not what it was chartered to
be.  Also I expect that even if such were to be seen as a reasonable
step in a possible evolution of the IGF, and I am _not_ thinking it
is, it is certainly not a step that the IGF seems ready for.  At least
it does not seem that way to me.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org