[governance] communicating with our peers

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Feb 6 09:01:32 EST 2008

>I agree the lack of response from the caucus isn't helpful.

Yes, I agree lack of response from the list doesn’t help at all. But still
basic commitments and responsibilities have to be kept up. And I am worried
about the activity levels of this list, and seeking engagement of other
members to see if anything can/ needs to be done about it.

>The consultation is now less than 3 weeks away.
>Are we prepared? There was a very useful thread in November/December.

No, we aren’t prepared. The list is not responding. And I have tried a lot.
Yes, Adam you first proposed we start off in Nov/ Dec itself, but I/we
thought people respond better  a little closer to the event. And now I have
been to trying to get members engaged with more than a month to go. So the
response level has not to do with the time we started the process.

But good you raised the issue. Gaps in co-cordinators activities need to be
brought up. Not everything can be perfect, and not everything can be
explained away, but as long as there are questiones being asked one gets
reminded to ones accountabilities.

>>Actually I am not sure if there has been any
>>substantial issue that hasn't been reported by
>>any of us.

<That's true.  Except the great leak, which I
>personally wouldn't have reported.

Adam, I picked from your email that said, yes, we CS members do not report
enough. There is this impression among many members and this has been
discussed on this list a few times. And I don’t know what all went on the
MAG list and closed deliberations to be able to speak about what was not
reported.

At least at face to face closed meeting of MAG some important issues get
raised and discussed - we never had a summary report (within chatham rules)
before the official summary reports started coming out.

And I didn’t understand why would you 'personally' have not reported (even
without ascriptions) the issues that become the great leak. Is the threat of
withdrawal of financial support by one of the most important groups in MAG/
IGF in connection with whether some agenda will or will not be taken up not
a big issue enough to report - whatever be ones personal viewpoint about it.

I don’t now many other issues - but I did raise the issue of how public and
community finance models disappeared from Access agenda - which should have
disturbed a lot of people who keep telling us that CIRs is not an issue but
access is - and nobody told me what happened inside the MAG that the issue
was taken off..... There must be many such issues I don’t even know of...but
the significance and nature of few of these is enough to allow one to make a
general impression of non-reporting of substantial issues.

And Jeanette, yes your email of early January was an important one to engage
members of issues being taken up by the MAG. I had started the thread and
didn’t want to come in with too much substantive stuff till other members
came in. A bit later I did abstract some of the issues pointed out in your
email and reposted them to try and get members to engage. So that problem
remains.

Parminder