[governance] a very grounded and divergent perspective on Net

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Sat Dec 27 19:56:07 EST 2008

Hi & best wishes to all for a Happy New Year.

I must agree with Avri & Parminder: TCP/IP as a public/non-proprietary protocol i.e. owned by noone and hence everyone is the defining feature of the Internet.

That noone owns the Internet, and it is maintained by a volunteer group of protocol gardeners, makes it similar to a rose garden in a public park near campus here in Syracuse. The garden is more scenic in summer, while the Internet can bloom year round, so I guess the analogy doesn;t quite hold. But I'll dig a bit deeper anyway.

That this thin public layer, maintained by many private individuals, enables private (as well as public including governmental) innovations above in applications and services and below in physical network technologies is what makes it valuable and useful.  There I agree with Milton. So yes the 'Internet' exists across many private, and some public networks and that is a most beneficial feature - but the thin line is all of ours.  Even if we stay out of the protocol dirt.

And we can tip our caps to the IETFers who have maintained and extended the Internet over the years through excellent protocol gardening, without automaticaly agreeing with McTim that that is all that is needed for the Internet to grow in 2009 and beyond.

Lee