[governance] REAL net neutrality in now a hope!

Danny Younger dannyyounger at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 20:18:15 EST 2008

Hello Peter,

I wouldn't have such a problem with alt roots if they could actually be readily found by the bulk of the populace.

That said, the adage "different strokes for different folks" would seem to be appropriate.  Most of the world tends to prefer TLDs that are actually visible to most of the world (which is not the case for the vast bulk of alt.root TLDs)... but apparently you and your clients have a different set of preferences (which is OK; after all, it is a big world).

Yes, the non-ASCII needs that you have highlighted admittedly have not yet been fully accommodated by the legacy root, but I suspect that given the planned upcoming rollout of IDN ccTLDs and IDN gTLDs, this too will change in the near term...  and when they are added to the Root, my guess is that we will indeed be able to use the Search Engines to find content in those IDN TLDs (while we still won't be able to search for content within the TLDs managed by the alternate root community).

In the long run the legacy root will offer the world the utility that its citizens will require;  I don't see other root communities as being able to make the same claim, but that's just my view.

best regards,
Danny