[governance] Free Web Plan Being Pushed by FCC Head

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Dec 15 08:07:38 EST 2008

Milton L Mueller schrieb:
> And PLEASE note that this is a CENSORED internet, which is precisely
> what some of us fear will be the price of government-provided “internet
> for all.”

>> Outgoing Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin is
>> pushing for action in December on a plan to offer free, pornography-free
>> wireless Internet service to all Americans, despite objections from the
>> wireless industry and some consumer groups.

The plan seems to be dead, at least for the moment:

<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122911167960602397.html>

DECEMBER 12, 2008, 11:48 P.M. ET

FCC Head Cancels Vote on Free Internet Plan

By FAWN JOHNSON

WASHINGTON -- Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin on
Friday evening canceled next week's meeting at which the commission was
scheduled to vote on a free Internet plan, after receiving a letter from
key U.S. lawmakers asking him to hold off.

Sen. John Rockefeller, (D-W.Va.), and Rep. Henry Waxman, (D-Calif.), who
will chair the Senate and House committees overseeing the FCC next year,
earlier Friday sent a letter to Mr. Martin asking him to cease actions on
controversial policy proposals.

(...)

"We received the letter from Senator Rockefeller and Congressman Waxman
today and spoke with other offices," said FCC Spokesman Robert Kenny. "In
light of the letter, it does not appear that there is consensus to move
forward and the agenda meeting has been canceled."
     governance at lists.cpsr.org