[governance] Themes for the coming IGFs

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Sun Dec 14 06:34:01 EST 2008

Dear Sylvia and all,

Responsibilities are, and have always been, consubstantial to rights.
Your rights are my responsibilities, and my rights are your
responsibilities. This is because one's rights are necessarily
limited by others' rights.
By simply enouncing rights, as they are in the UDHR, and, more than
two centuries ago, in the 1789 Declaration after the French
revolution (as well as in any and all Declaration of rights),
responsibilities are encompassed.
The suggested 'rights based approach' implies a holistic vision of
all rights, and this ensures to consider and find a fair balance
between rights of the individual and their limits, which derive from
the social contract linking the community.

Themes about end-user, ISP, State Parties responsibilities, that you
are calling for, cannot be included _in addition to_ rights: they are
necessarily the consequences of a right based approach, as they will
be translated in the practical context of Internet governance.

Best,
Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org