[governance] Themes for the coming IGFs

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Fri Dec 12 13:04:34 EST 2008

Hi,

I share Jean-Louis' concern about the general lack of serious
attention to development issues in the IGF, which is part of why I
organized workshops on the notion of a development agenda at Rio and
Hyderabad.  That IGF has basically given lip service to "IG4D" is
rather odd given that it a UN-based process launched as a compromise
solution to WSIS deadlocks. It also is of significant concern to many
developing country governments, and reinforces the not uncommon view
that the ITU is a better and more useful forum for them.  Development
is the sort of cross-cutting, horizontal issue set that the IGF ought
to have a comparative advantage in addressing, and despite its
breadth it could be modularized and tackled in successive meetings.
Hence, I'd like to see a main session in Egypt like, "Taking IG4D
Seriously."

I'd also like to see a main session on another cross-cutting,
horizontal issue set, which like development was originally
envisioned as central to the IGF, and was included in the Tunis
mandate: "“Promote and assess, on an ongoing basis, the embodiment of
WSIS principles in Internet Governance processes.”  The APC-UNECE-COE
initiative would be relevant here.

Two cents,

Bill

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance
Graduate Institute of International and
   Development Studies
Geneva, Switzerland
william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
New book: Governing Global Electronic Networks,
http://tinyurl.com/5mh9jj