[governance] Themes for the coming IGFs

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Thu Dec 11 05:36:07 EST 2008

Hi,

we had quite a good discussion at the caucus meeting in Hyderabad about
possible topics for the next IGF. Parminder proposed a 'rights based
approach to IG' as an over-arching theme for the next IGF.

I think should continue this discussion on this list since it would be
good if we could come up with proposals for topics at the next public
consultation in Geneva in February 2009.

I am not sure though if we should focus on the over-arching theme for
the next IGF. In case you don't remember, the overall theme for this
year's IGF was "Internet for all". My impression is that these
over-arching themes don't matter that much, not only because they tend
to be shallow but more so because the underlying topics are too diverse
to reflect in any meaningful way the overall topic.

We should focus on the themes for the main session instead. For those
who didn't follow closely, this year's themes were:

        * Reaching the next billion;

        * Promoting cyber-security and trust;

        * Managing critical Internet resources;

        * Taking stock and the way forward;

        * Emerging issues - the Internet of tomorrow

I heard several people saying that access related topics (reaching the
next billion) need a break as there is nothing new to discuss next year.
  Do others agree? What are other topics we want to see discussed? In my
view, critical Internet resources should stay on the agenda.

best, jeanette
     governance at lists.cpsr.org