SV: [governance] Re: [ga] Re: [ga] ICANN presentsmisleadingblackline

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 7 22:03:53 EST 2008

Karl and all,

  Thanks for your response.  I get the time by managing my time
wisely, closely, and diligently.  It's difficult at times, but certainly

doable, and for me in my position, necessary.

  I do agree that ICANN is heading down the wrong path and seemingly
at times racing to the bottom as well as engendering a non-competitive
closed market as well as a far less than safe, and ease of use market
in the Name Space.  This is of course mainly due to a poor understanding

of the technical aspects which make up what we all have for decades now
known as the "Internet".  Yet there are also social complexities that
are
too often juxtaposed as reasons/excuses for some, but not all of ICANN's

actions and policy decisions which have lead to significant TLD
collisions,
and will likely lead to more in the near future given ICANN's
announcement
of the introduction opening up the TLD name space.  IPv6 will of course
play a huge role in the success or lack there of in that policy decision
as
IPv4 address space is nearly exhausted.  But non technical types do not,

and seemingly refuse to recognize the significance as they are too
focused
on social issues to bother.  That's unfortunate, but a symptom of how
mass ignorance creates larger problems in many fields of endeavor, not
just IT.  Such is also a product of ICANN's significant miss management
of the complexities of the MOU.  As such, the legacy Internet will
suffer
further government intervention which ICANN doesn't desire, but has
already helped to engender despite itself.  An interesting dilemma...

  And so, the saga continues...

"Karl E. Peters" wrote:

> Mr. Williams,    I don't know where you get the time to monitor and
> respond to so much in so many places, but thanks.    Were it the goal,
> still, to change ICANN, you are absolutely right. It is a foregone
> conclusion that their intent will remain the same. That does not mean
> that anyone will necessarily care about their intent in the future,
> though, when they leave the protection of mother government and try to
> do things on their own popularity.    I believe they are changing the
> one thing we need them to change to make them irrelevant in the
> future, and that is to step out from under the eaves of the government
> roof and feel the rain on their heads for perhaps the first time;
> people just walking away from them for greener pastures. They can make
> all the determinations and policies they wish with their root and some
> people, the less informed, will continue to play their game to get a
> new TLD on the internet. Most, though, when the fog clears, will see a
> completely viable alternative to the master / slave relationship ICANN
> holds with its TLD registrants. The other roots will be ready to
> handle them and help them sell their SLDs and provide quite ample
> technicals to sustain them as the market edges that way.    Reason has
> already been tried... and failed with ICANN. We gave it our best
> efforts now for years. It is time to leave them behind to manage their
> empire while it lasts while we build a new multi-root system that
> prevents collisions and allow freedom of choice on the root level and
> then, freedom of choice for the end user to choose the root best
> suited for them. ICANN is like the proverbial man trying to grasp al
> the sand in one hand, and fearing loss, grip tighter and tighter,
> forcing more and more of the sand from their ever smaller and
> strangling grasp.    The day is fast approaching when the internet can
> be free again, and work!Sincerely yours,Karl E. Peters,
> PresidentTop-Level Domain Association, Inc.

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04