[governance] Re: [CRIS Info] Defending the public and egalitarian nature of theInternet

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 1 18:17:35 EST 2008

Anja and all,

  This is nothing new.  Such corporatisation and control of the
Internet has been ongoing for nearly 10 years now, and the
rate of same has been increasing.

  If socilization or social control of the Internet is desired, than
ways and means of paying for that type of control will need to
be determined and than realized.  So far, those factors have been
less than forthcoming, as public funding is either not avaliable, or
other higher priorities for those funds have already been indentified.

Anja Kovacs wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Many people tend to take the commons and the public nature of the
> Internet for granted. However, increasing corporatisation and control of
> the Internet are strongly threatening these fundamental characteristics
> of the Internet as we know it. In this context, six Indian civil society
> organisations, have proposed an open letter to the UN Internet
> Governance Forum which meets for its third annual meeting between 3rd
> and 6th December in Hyderabad, and which is supposed to discuss these
> very issues. The letter exhorts urgent global action to ensure that the
> publicness and the egalitarian nature of the Internet are preserved as
> its essential features. The possibilities of democracy, equity and
> social justice in our societies will be significantly impacted by the
> extent to which we can achieve this objective.
>
> The proposed letter is pasted below. If you and/or your organization
> would be happy to endorse this letter, please indicate so by emailing to
> anja at itforchange.net by the midnight of 1st December (India time). We
> are eager to have as many signatories as possible to the letter, to
> ensure that we give a strong civil society signal on these issues.
>
> The proposed open letter can also be accessed at
> http://www.itforchange.net/component/content/article/195-igf-open-letter.html
>
> Best wishes,
> Anja

> *
> *
> * An Open Letter to the UN Internet Governance Forum (IGF) *
> * for its 3rd Annual Meeting at Hyderabad, India, from 3rd to 6th
> December, 2008 *
> *
>
> The IGF must ACT NOW against the threat to the
> public-ness and the egalitarian nature of the Internet *
>
> The undersigned wish to express their deep concern that the UN Internet
> Governance
> Forum (IGF), created by the World Summit on the Information Society in
> 2005 as an
> Internet ‘policy dialogue’ forum, is largely failing to address key
> public interest and
> policy issues in global Internet governance – including that of
> democratic deficit.
>
> *Who shapes the Internet, as the Internet shapes our new social context?*
> The Internet represents the single most important technical advance of
> our society in a
> long time, so much so that it defines a new emerging social paradigm.
> The basic
> characteristics of the Internet determine the contours of the emerging
> social order in
> many important ways. The Internet was conceived as, and still largely
> is, an extensive
> communication system which is democratizing, and has little respect for
> established
> social hierarchies. Interactions and associations built over this new
> ‘techno-social’
> [...]

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04