[governance] Two outrageous stories of so-called

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Sun Aug 24 12:05:40 EDT 2008

Perhaps it is useful to see IPR in the focus of a
'rights' argument, but I think of it more with
respect to development.

It's possible that no one is going to care that
Microsoft has patented PgUp/PgDn, an I can't see
Microsoft demanding royalties on every keyboard
with those keys and from every software program
that has such functionality, but such patents, an
their corresponding copyrights, erode the amount
of knowledge an the degrees of freedom available
for education and development.  It's not any one
such action that is serious, but the culture that
encourages the privatization, and the subsequent
monetization, of intellectual property that is
corrosive and counterproductive in terms of the
public interest.

George