[governance] Rights in IG research

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 20 19:14:45 EDT 2008

Parminder and all,

  I would have to logically suppose that what is "Real" in one
culture might not be in another.  What is a "Education" in one
sense and culture, might be only propaganda or indoctranation
in others.  And so forth and so on...

Parminder wrote:

> Tapani,
>
> As I see it you agree that a positive right like education is a 'real'
> right. So, now we only have to sort out what does collective rights mean,
> and if they are 'real'.
>
> There are two aspects to it, both based on the fact that nations, though the
> basic political communities or systems - or polities - are not the only
> ones.... This should be clearly understood in the real complexity of our
> socio-political living.
>
> In this light the first aspect is - that collective rights, including
> cultural rights and right to development (including self-determination of
> best way to develop) are invoked by communities within national systems
> against the state. Tribal/ aboriginal communities or other communities
> having very different socio-cultural systems than the 'mainstream' national
> communities have been special collective rights within national systems in
> most countries - very certainly, in India.
>
> So, there is certainly a real party 'against' which these collective rights,
> including the RTD, is claimed.
>
> The second aspect is at the global level. The very fact that we are
> discussing these political issues across national political systems and
> trying to arrive at some common understanding means that we believe in some
> concept of 'global polity', however weak and different from national
> polities it may be. (I certainly know, for instance, that Milton, believes
> in this kind of transnational polity fairly strongly.)
>
> To the extent we all do so, the claims are simply 'against' this global
> polity (in its present shape, and its emergent promise, as well as
> challenges). With globalization all of are more impacted by global political
> power - whether properly institutionalized or not - and this fact cannot be
> lost sight of. This increasingly makes it a 'real party'. I think that would
> make collective rights like RTD, even at a global level, a 'real right'.
>
> A rights discourse underpins - and to that extent precedes institutional
> systems. It does not necessarily get itself defined from within established
> institutional systems, though it will always have some kind of reference to
> them.
>
> Parminder

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com