[governance] Rights in IG research

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Aug 21 03:03:15 EDT 2008

Tapani,

As I see it you agree that a positive right like education is a 'real'
right. So, now we only have to sort out what does collective rights mean,
and if they are 'real'.

There are two aspects to it, both based on the fact that nations, though the
basic political communities or systems - or polities - are not the only
ones.... This should be clearly understood in the real complexity of our
socio-political living.

In this light the first aspect is - that collective rights, including
cultural rights and right to development (including self-determination of
best way to develop) are invoked by communities within national systems
against the state. Tribal/ aboriginal communities or other communities
having very different socio-cultural systems than the 'mainstream' national
communities have been special collective rights within national systems in
most countries - very certainly, in India.

So, there is certainly a real party 'against' which these collective rights,
including the RTD, is claimed.

The second aspect is at the global level. The very fact that we are
discussing these political issues across national political systems and
trying to arrive at some common understanding means that we believe in some
concept of 'global polity', however weak and different from national
polities it may be. (I certainly know, for instance, that Milton, believes
in this kind of transnational polity fairly strongly.)

To the extent we all do so, the claims are simply 'against' this global
polity (in its present shape, and its emergent promise, as well as
challenges). With globalization all of are more impacted by global political
power - whether properly institutionalized or not - and this fact cannot be
lost sight of. This increasingly makes it a 'real party'. I think that would
make collective rights like RTD, even at a global level, a 'real right'.

A rights discourse underpins - and to that extent precedes institutional
systems. It does not necessarily get itself defined from within established
institutional systems, though it will always have some kind of reference to
them.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org