[governance] Letter to the MAG on visibility of 'rights

Jaco Aizenman skorpio at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 16:51:36 EDT 2008

Roland and all,

Nice to cyber meet you, and everyone of you that I have not been presented
already.      ;-)

Yes, IGF can not do that, but may be it can consider having pointers/links
to the already "Internet Bill of Rights" ("fundamental right") operational
(Germany), or in process (Costa Rica).

Also it can consider sending those pointers/links to the Human Rights
Commission in all the Congresses worldwide, and provide a unique virtual
place (mailing list, social site, forum, chat, wiki. etc) for exchanges.

This actions may speed up the process of having Internet Bill of Rights in
every country, without IGF having to define a specific text of and Internet
Bill or Rights.

Roland and anyone, thanks in advance for any comments on this action.

Best regards,

Jaco

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Roland Perry <
roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

> In message <48A25A0B.79ABAB0B at ix.netcom.com>, at 20:50:36 on Tue, 12 Aug
> 2008, Jeffrey A. Williams <jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com> writes
>
>> If indeed that there is not going to be a unified agreed upon text/draft
>> for a Internet "Bill of Rights", than how does the IGF expect to be taken
>> seriously on such a notion?
>>

> You seem to think "the IGF" is some sort of corporate entity capable of
> assuming an identity (which can then be taken seriously or not depending on
> people's perceptions of its actions).
>
> That's not the case - the Chair has said on many occasions that one of the
> main reasons the IGF can't "negotiate a text" or "vote" on anything is
> because it has no such identity or even a formal membership - being merely a
> group of people whoever happen to turn up for a meeting once a year.
>
> Yes, there's a chair (and perhaps a co-chair, although not this year so
> far), and a secretariat, and a MAG, and meetings every three months in
> Geneva, but they are simply setting the scene for the main meeting.
> --
> Roland Perry

Jaco Aizenman L.
My iname is =jaco (http://xri.net/=jaco)