[governance] Letter to the MAG on visibility of 'rights

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 12 23:50:36 EDT 2008

Milton and all,

  Well I guess this clears up a few things for me if true.  If indeed
that there is not going to be a unified agreed upon text/draft for
a Internet "Bill of Rights", than how does the IGF expect to be
taken seriously on such a notion?

Milton L Mueller wrote:

> > From: Roland Perry [mailto:roland at internetpolicyagency.com]
> > >There's still discussion about whether "Bill of rights" is
> > the right name for the coalition.
> >
> > This has implications of a "negotiated text" which is one of the
> > 'outcomes' that I thought the IGF was constitutionally opposed to.
>
> Roland
> the Bill o' Rights is a Dynamic Coalition within the IGF. Dynamic
> Coalitions, or DC's, can negotiate any texts they like. They can, in
> fact, all agree to wear black jumpsuits and funny hats or to wear
> medieval armor and say "nee!" in unison. Indeed, aside from DCs any
> grouping of actors within the IGF -- workshops, coffee klatsches, or
> carpools -- can sit down and negotiate any agreement among themselves
> they like.
>
> What (most) people don't want is for the IGF qua IGF to negotiate texts.
> That's a different thing.
>
> Hope this clears up your concern.
>
> Milton Mueller
> Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
> XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
> ------------------------------
> Internet Governance Project:
> http://internetgovernance.org

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com