[governance] Letter to the MAG on visibility of 'rights

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Aug 13 15:47:49 EDT 2008

> From: Roland Perry [mailto:roland at internetpolicyagency.com]
> >There's still discussion about whether "Bill of rights" is
> the right name for the coalition.
>
> This has implications of a "negotiated text" which is one of the
> 'outcomes' that I thought the IGF was constitutionally opposed to.

Roland
the Bill o' Rights is a Dynamic Coalition within the IGF. Dynamic
Coalitions, or DC's, can negotiate any texts they like. They can, in
fact, all agree to wear black jumpsuits and funny hats or to wear
medieval armor and say "nee!" in unison. Indeed, aside from DCs any
grouping of actors within the IGF -- workshops, coffee klatsches, or
carpools -- can sit down and negotiate any agreement among themselves
they like.

What (most) people don't want is for the IGF qua IGF to negotiate texts.
That's a different thing.

Hope this clears up your concern.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org